Central to TLC’s work is our pursuit to connect people with our properties through our province-wide Community Engagement Programs. These initiatives are built on the premise that our sites belong to the people of British Columbia and that by guaranteeing community participation in their stewardship, people will enjoy and protect them as their own for generations to come. The programs’ many activities are based on providing experiential, hands on experiences across the province with the goals of:
1) Inspiring British Columbians to become personally involved in the management and protection of protected properties and
2) Engaging British Columbians in understanding and appreciating how such special places sustain and nurture our communities and the natural world in which we live
These programs were created:
- To work with and include community in the management of our many sites and properties
- To increase awareness about biodiversity and sustainability
- To increase awareness about endangered species and habitats
- To promote the conservation of BC’s natural and cultural heritage
- To promote the protection and restoration of native habitat
- To promote safe recreation in natural and cultural areas
Community engagement is something we try to integrate through out our work. To demonstrate this we have created project summaries for four of our core community engagement programs.
Each report provide a summary of participation, activities, community benefits, measures of success and program partners and supporters.